Saturday, February 23, 2013

Material List (Second Post)

Hello blog readers! As you know I am practicing the art of cinematography and I would like to give you a rundown of the materials and software I will ultimately be using for the duration of this project.


Camcorder (Sony CX260V):
http://www.costcentral.com/product-images-new/sony-hdr-cx260v-b.jpg
To record the videos I will be taking I will be using the Sony CX260V. This is an HD camcorder that records in qualities up to 1080p. 1080p is often to referred to as "full HD", and is known for having 1080 horizontal lines of vertical, distinct pixels. Basically, it provides a crisper and more clear image than non-HD recordings. This camera has a 55x optical zoom, meaning that it can zoom in on an object 55 times more than regularly recording with it, and also 8.9 megapixels. A pixel is a small, square shaped objects found on displays that, with many, produce images on screens. Pixels make up your television screen, computer screen, and so on. The greater amount of pixels, my camera having a high amount, the more clear the image is once again. This camera can also be screwed onto a tripod, which brings me to my next material I am using for this project.


Tripod:
http://photocrati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sunpak-ultra-757-tripod.jpg
I will be using a 50" tripod, with a mini-tripod, to record steady shots for the videos I will be taking. Tripods allow the user to move their camera in a smooth pattern, so the shots aren't steady and unprofessional.  Camera motions can make or break a video and a tripod will make my shots much nicer.


Add caption
Software (Adobe After Effects and Final Cut Pro X):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Adobe_After_Effects_CS6_Icon.png
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjPAjBFyx0BEo668n9iT9i7Yj2Kxv2g-g7p31jY31v787eFt-244fcPuuoHyR1H7gJUG3PKtWvtqcXAFAa6AKHIuURYSTBKrDkaep07w79FTU4JB7xLdFcsctXVaJT1vyaV64guGhRpTag/s1600/final-cut-pro-x-logo.jpg
After I record the videos I am making, whether for a test video or my final product, I will do the editing in Adobe After Effects. The possibilities in After Effects are endless! With a creative mind and general knowledge of the program, I can create an explosion, make a man get struck by lighting, or anything else I can think of. This program will be challenging to use but with the help of reliable resources I will be able to figure it out. After I have recorded and edited my video clips, I will compose them in Final Cut before exporting my completed video. Both programs are a major step up from the default iMovie my mac provides me with.


Clamp Lights/External Microphone?
http://videocontestnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Reflector-Clamp-Light1.jpg
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/86469-a9dae2917d35d8b246d6ade5801c6f17.jpg
I am still yet to decide if both the clamp lights and external microphone are necessary for my project. The clamp lights are a substitute for expensive photography lights that are not in budget for this project. If I were to buy the clamp lights they would help me to light up my inside recordings and could only enhance my videos. The external microphone I am considering getting would also be a cheap purchase to increase the sound quality and range for my videos. The boom pole that I would get with it would allow for better sound pickup then the built-in microphone on my camera. Both purchases would be cheap, but I do not feel they would be completely necessary for the goal of this project. If I do find that I have time to use them and that they would be effective in my videos, I will sway further into buying them.


There you go, a complete list of the materials I will be using for my cinematography project and why. I hope you found this interesting and make sure to check back soon for my progress updates! Bye for now...
                                                 


1 comment:

  1. Wow Ethan!
    You are getting the materials that professionals have. From my experience in the Introduction to Television class is that the microphone is an asset to video making. It enhances the noise greatly and helps to reduce background noise that you don't want in your film. Final Cut is a great application but how are you going to afford it? Isn't it something like two-hundred dollars to buy? Are you going to use the trial version? Make sure that the camera you buy can comprehend with your computer software. I once bought a camera that only worked with a PC computer and I was very sad because I have a Macbook Air.
    I wish you the best of luck in filming and editing.

    ReplyDelete